I made this cake this year for a farm open day and no-one wanted to leave! Lovely and moist and perfect with lemon zest on top- no need to ice. It’s from Allyson Gofton’s great cookbook. http://www.allysongofton.co.nz/
Coconut Feijoa Cake From Shirley
150 grams butter
1Â½ cups caster sugar
4 eggs, separated
2 cups desiccated coconut
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1 cup peeled and chopped feijoas
1. Beat the butter and sugar together until light in colour and creamy in texture. Beat in the egg yolks.
2. Fold in the coconut and sifted dry ingredients with the milk and fruit.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the cake mixture.
4. Turn into a well-greased and lined 23 or 25cm cake tin.
5. Bake at 180ÂºC for 1 hour or until a cake skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out.
6. Dust with icing sugar before serving or cover with a lemon icing prepared from icing sugar, grated lemon rind and lemon juice.